Losing weight to control overweight or obesity is a great way to reduce the risk of getting sick.
But, major weight loss may cause loose skin. For some it can cause anxiety and self-consciousness which could be enough to affect the your quality of life.
This article will take a look at the causes of loose skin following weight loss. It also offers details about natural and medical solutions to in tightening and removing loose skin.
What Is The Reason For Loose Skin Following Losing Weight?
It is also the most important organ of the human body. It is a skin barrier to protect you from the outside.
The skin’s innermost layer skin is comprised of proteins which include elastic and collagen. Collagen is a protein that constitutes 80 percent of the skin’s structure gives your skin firmness and strength. Elastic creates elasticity and aids in helping your skin remain firm.
When weight gain occurs, the skin expands to allow for growth. Pregnancy is an instance of this growth.
Skin expansion during pregnancy occurs over a few months’ time. The skin’s expanded area usually shrinks after a few months following the delivery.
In contrast, when the skin is stretched to a significant extent and is stretched to the extent that it remains that way for a long time, elastic and collagen fibres get damaged. This means that the skin loses some capacity to retract.
Therefore, when you lose lots of weight, extra skin can hang off your body. In general, the more you lose weight, the more noticeable the effects from loose skin.
Researchers have also reported that those who undergo weight loss surgery develop less new collagen and its composition isn’t as robust as collagen that is present in healthy, young skin.
Factors That Contribute To The Loss In Skin Elastic
Many factors can cause loose skin after weight loss.
- Time span. In general, the longer someone has excess weight or obese, the more sagging their skin will appear following weight loss as a result of collagen and elastin loss.
- The amount of weight lost. Weight loss of 100 pounds (46 kg) or more usually results in a higher percentage of loose skin than less weight loss.
- The age. Older skin has less collagen than younger skin, and tends to loosen after weight loss.
- Genetics. Genes may affect the way your skin reacts to weight loss and weight gain.
- Exposure to sun. Chronic sun exposure has been found to lower the production of collagen and elastin in the skin which could cause loose skin.
- Smoking. Smoking leads to an increase in collagen production and damages to collagen, which results in loose skin that is sagging.
Problems Arising From Excessive Loose Skin
For certain people with loose skin, the weight loss can cause emotional and physical difficulties:
- physical pain. Excess skin may be uncomfortable and could hinder normal activities. A longitudinal study has discovered a rise in self-consciousness in the wake of losing weight.
- A decrease in exercise. While one study found that weight loss motivated people to exercise more the skin, it was also found to hinder exercising in some individuals following bariatric surgery.
- The skin can be irritated and break down. One study found that out of 124 patients who had plastic surgery in order to tighten the skin following weight reduction operation, 40% suffered from skin ulcers, pain or infections caused by an unsecured skin.
- Bad images of your body. Loose skin from weight loss could have negative effects on your body image and mood.
Natural Solutions To Improve The Tightness Of Loose Skin
The following natural treatments can enhance the skin’s strength and elasticity to some extent for those that have shed small or small amounts of fat.
Do Resistance Training
Training regularly is among the most effective methods to increase muscle mass older and young adults alike.
Although there isn’t any research available however, the increased muscle mass could aid in improving how loose skin appears.
Collagen Is A Good Source Of Protein
Collagen hydrolysate is very similar to gelatin. It’s a refined version of the collagen that’s found in connective tissue of animals.
Although it’s not yet studied in individuals with loose skin caused by significant weight loss, studies have suggested that collagen hydrolysate could be a protective factor for the collagen in the skin.
In a study that was controlled in a controlled study, the skin’s elasticity along with texture and hydration, improved dramatically following 12 weeks on a collagen liquid supplement. The drink also included vitamin C as well as E in addition to zinc and biotin.
Collagen hydrolysate is also referred to by the name of hydrolyzed collagen. It is available in powdered form and is available in natural food stores and online.
Another source of collagen that is popular includes the bone broth that has various health benefits, too.
Eat Certain Foods And Stay Hydrated
Certain nutrients are essential in producing collagen as well as other elements that make up healthy skin
- Protein. Adequate protein is crucial to maintain healthy and beautiful skin. Lysine, one of the amino acids as well as proline play an integral part in the production of collagen.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C is required to make collagen, and it also helps shield skin from sun-induced damage.
- Omega-3 Fatty acids. The omega-3 fatty acids present in fatty fish can help improve skin elasticity and also have anti-aging benefits.
- Hydration. Staying well hydrated can improve the appearance of your skin. A study showed the women with higher daily intake of water experienced significant improvements in the hydration of their skin and functioning.
Apply Creams For Firming
A lot of “firming” creams contain collagen and elastin.
Although these creams might temporarily add a little increase in skin tightness, collagen and elastin are too big to be absorbed into the skin. In general, collagen has to be produced by the body from within.
The Use Of Medical Treatments Can Reduce Loose Skin
The surgical or medical procedures are more risky options in order to tighten skin following significant weight loss.
People who have shed significant weight through bariatric surgery, or other methods for weight loss frequently seek the removal of skin.
In body contouring surgery surgeons make an incision large enough to remove the excess skin and fat. Then, they suture the incision using fine stitches to reduce the scarring.
Body-contouring surgeries that target specific body parts comprise:
- abdominal suction (tummy Tuck): removal of skin from the abdomen.
- Lower-body Lift: elimination of the skin on your stomach, buttocks, hips and the thighs
- Upper-body Lift: removal of skin from the breasts and the back
- lifting of the medial thigh Removal of the skin both the inner and outer thighs
- brachioplasty (arm lift): removal of skin from the upper arms.
- Multiple surgeries are typically carried out on various body parts during the period of one to two years after weight loss.
Body-contouring surgery typically requires hospitalisation for 1 to 4 days. The recovery time at home typically takes between 2 and 4 weeks. There are also complications following the surgery, including infections, bleeding, and so on.
Body contouring surgery can improve the your quality of life after substantial weight loss. But, one study revealed that certain health-related scores were reduced for those who underwent the procedure.
Alternative Medical Procedures
Although body-contouring surgery may be the most commonly used procedure for removing loose skin, other less invasive options with less risk of complications are:
- Treatment with radio frequency. Such treatments may make use of a combination of infrared light, radio frequency, or massage to tighten loose skin. Although this procedure doesn’t cause the loss of weight, it can aid in reducing small areas filled with fat.
- Ultrasound. A controlled study of the treatment with ultrasound on patients who underwent bariatric surgery did not show any tangible improvement of loose skin. However, patients did report relief from symptoms and pain after treatment.
- Highly regarded database from the National Institutes of Health
There are less risks associated with these alternatives but the results might appear less dramatic than body-contouring surgery.
Excessive loose skin is normal when you lose a significant amount of weight. It is possible to get treatment if your loose skin is causing you discomfort.
In the case of small or moderate amount of weight loss your skin may retract itself on its own. Natural home remedies may help too.
However, larger weight loss might require body-contouring surgery , or other procedures that help reduce or tighten loose skin.